- Research, research, research. Look at pictures of your new home online and try to visit it. I know how difficult it can be to go visit a home your thinking about buying if its all the way across the world, but believe me, its worth it.
- Think about moving some of your belongings by boat if possible. Its much cheaper than moving by air, and you can send it a few days before you move and have it at your home when you get there. Your heaviest items will be much cheaper to ship by cargo ship as well, so it might be a good idea just to ship your closets, TV's, dishwashers etc. by boat.
- International Movers are experienced professionals and will help you pack and move your most fragile and difficult to move items, so don't sweat much over them. The moving company you have chosen will advise you on how to pack your belongings and what type of container to put them in.
Thursday, July 31, 2008
Moving to another country is probably the most intimidating move there can be. Its a very different experience than moving down the street or to another state, and so you need to take appropriate measures to accommodate your move from say, New York to Shanghai. Here are some tips on how to get started:
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
No matter where your moving, your going to need to pack your belongings. This can be one of the most overwhelming parts of the move, but it really doesn't have to be. Here are some tips on how to make packing much, much easier:
- Get boxes. Its a better idea to get more boxes versus less boxes, you never know how many you might need and its better to have too many than too little.
- Get Packing Peanuts, corrugated paper (e.g. for fragile figurines) , tissue paper (for breakable items like glassware), tape and scissors.
- Make sure not to pack things you use very often. Save those to pack until a few days before the actual move.
- Label. Label. Label. Make sure to label every single box you pack, and make a checklist for said box's as well. This will help you know that every box you have is on the moving truck, ready to move.
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Hello and welcome to Inter S&R's new blog! I know how stressful and intimidating a move can be, and through this blog, I hope to help tone down some of that stress and make your move safer and easier. I will be posting some helpful information and tips about the moving process and they will help you whether your moving from New York to Berlin or just down the block. I will be posting some general packing tips, as well as well as tips for people who are moving internationally. As always, Inter S&R is dedicated to helping you with your move and helping you to enjoy your move. Stay tuned for more posts and tips shortly.